CESEM is a research unit devoted to the study of music and its correlation with other arts, culture and society, incorporating various approaches and making use of the latest perspectives and methodologies in Social and Human Sciences.
These are the general purposes of CESEM:
- Create a suitable environment for teamwork, organized to tackle the identified scientific needs and priorities;
- Support the research interests of its members and their participation in international professional venues, and the publication of the research results;
- Promote new collaborative research projects that deepen the knowledge and dissemination of Portuguese, Iberian and Latin American themes;
- Create new research tools, applications, and databases, allowing the international academic community to study local repertoires and other little explored objects as well as promoting the role of Music in contemporary Portuguese life;
- Foster a renewed atmosphere of research and debate, bringing its members together in a dynamic musicological community capable of maintaining excellence in postgraduate studies in Music.